[Article] Rand Paul and Others Introduce Bill to Legalize Industrial Hemp; Kentucky Senate Passes Similar Hemp Bill

Go down

[Article] Rand Paul and Others Introduce Bill to Legalize Industrial Hemp; Kentucky Senate Passes Similar Hemp Bill

Post  QBcrusher on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 pm

While most are were out celebrating Valentine’s Day with their sweethearts, Kentucky Senators Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell, and Oregon Senators Jeff Merkley and Ron Wyden introduced a piece of groundbreaking legislation regarding industrialized hemp.

According to Senator Rand Paul’s official website, “The Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013 would remove federal restrictions on domestic cultivation of industrial hemp.” To be more precise, “Specifically, the bill would remove hemp from the Schedule 1 controlled substance list under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, and would define it as a non-drug so long as it contained less than 0.3 percent tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).” Essentially, hemp would be legalized as long as it contains less than enough of the active substance that is capable of producing a high.

The Industrial Hemp Farming Act of 2013 is the Senate’s sister bill to the House’s HR 525, which was introduced just last week.

Senator Paul commented on the new legislation, “The Industrial Hemp Farming Act paves the way to creating jobs for Kentucky. Allowing American farmers to cultivate industrial hemp and benefit from its many uses will boost our state’s economy and bring much-needed jobs in the agriculture community.” Senator McConnell also commended, “I am proud to introduce legislation with my friend Rand Paul that will allow Kentucky farmers to harness the economic potential that industrial hemp can provide. During these tough economic times, this legislation has the potential to create jobs and provide a boost in Kentucky’s economy and to our farmers and their families.”

Also on Thursday, Kentucky’s Senate passed a similar bill with a 31 to 6 margin, SB 50, which, if passed, would ascertain regulation for Kentucky farmers to grow industrial hemp, but it is currently pending a vote in Kentucky’s House.

“Today’s State Senate victory, coupled with the efforts Sen. McConnell and I are making here in Washington increase my confidence that they will soon payoff, to the benefit of Kentuckians,” mentioned Paul.

Kentucky Agriculture Commissioner James Connor, who has highly promoted SB 50, commented, “We’re just very happy and excited and very appreciative of the state Senate for their Overwhelming support and we are looking forward to a good, open, fair debate in the House.”
Pineapple Express

RoFL Bucks : 26270

Back to top Go down